Monday, January 23, 2012

Final Destination

Well, we made it to the university last week, but have had a lot of computer complications.  The main way that both Evan and I have kept contact is through Facebook.  But, I can give a little more perspective here. 
Africa is so radically different than either of us thought.  And I've been here twice....  Still, I've not been here like this.  There is no doubt how incredibly hard the people of Kenya work, and how many are struggling to get an education.  What is interesting is that I'm not sure I can see a lot of progress from their extraordinary efforts.  But the people at the university have been very kind and helpful.  I thought for some reason that there might be a few more mzungu lecturers/teachers here, but there aren't.  There may be some at the campus in town, but here on the main campus, I think we are it.  So the isolation is a bit more than I had anticipated.  When you come to Africa for a safari, you are on the move in a controlled environment.  This isn't that.  So isolation is kind of important to avoid.
Today was Evan's first day at the school.  I don't know how it is going.  The main thing he wants to do is play on the school soccer team.  If that happens, I truly believe he will be okay.  Still, this is all a struggle, but interesting nonetheless.  I think that Evan and I will come out of here better people for this experience.  I know that we will be different!
Now that  I've connected, I will post more later.

No comments:

Post a Comment