Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Tea with the neighbor

Here in Moi, we take our fun where we can get it.  We were talking to the German lady who lives next door, and has lived in her house with her Kenyan husband for 26 years.  We were telling her the conditions of our house, and she couldn't believe it.  And then she invited us in for some good German tea.  Evan and I sat with her for about an hour, listening to her talking about the shamba (farm) that they are building in the country.  This is a very strange place, tough to wrap your mind around.  But it apparently will get under your skin, much like the red dust that covers everything, including us.  I told Evan to imagine that maybe the first hominids had walked upon that dust, channeling the line from A Charley Brown Christmas delivered about Pigpen, but I don't think Evan was convinced.

We both have developed a strong affinity with Kenyan tea, generally made with hot milk.  Amazingly good and addictive.  We will come back with very dark teeth, I fear.  As for me, I may not have any teeth left, as the beef here is playing havoc with my poor old choppers.

For my academic friends, I attended a 3 hour Senate meeting, which makes the NSU senate look like a well-oiled machine.  Long, very long....

No comments:

Post a Comment