Sunday, January 15, 2012

Some impressions to share

Well, for those who are interested, now that we have gotten close to our destination, there are some impressions I thought I might share.  Firstly, this visit confirms my view that East Africans are incredibly warm and friendly people.  They have been very helpful, and greeted my questions with good humor.  I am also reminded on this trip just how mobile Africa is.  Evan and I stopped into a place this afternoon (Sunday) and we watched hundreds of people walking by, driving by, all going somewhere.  It seems that Africans do not just sit at home on a Sunday afternoon and watch tv.  They are out working or looking for work, or so it seems.  There is some aesthetic disconnect, though.  The landscapes are very interesting, but the cities are a wreck.  They seem to need a good cleaning.  How so much trash got left out is beyond me.  So it's a conundrum.  African's are incredibly proud people, but they don't seem to take great pride in their environment.  I'm wondering how this came about, and how it can possibly be changed. 

I've also talked to a couple of folks at Moi university, and it is interesting that they are facing the same issues academics in America face.  Asked to do much more with much less, facing students facing an uncertain future, and money problems.  Who can dispute the global village notion?  We do have differences, but amazing similarities as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment